Here in the South, people have strong feelings about gravy. Only second to their opinions about biscuits, gravy is sort of like children — everyone has a favorite. White, redeye, sawmill. They all have their unique roots and fan base. For me, it’s all about sausage gravy. Sausage packed with delicious spices rendered and cooked to perfection, leaving a pan of goodies to finish the creamy sauce. Paired with a buttery biscuit and it is simply perfection. This is my go-to recipe that is ready in just minutes.
It’s all gravy, baby.
Gravy is one of those recipes that I feel like everyone loves but rarely makes these days. I usually avoid ordering it when I am out for breakfast or brunch because so many restaurants just toss some sausage into typical white gravy and call it a day. It’s a disappoint that I try to avoid. The best thing about sausage gravy is that the sausage provides the canvas for the gravy preparation.
Not cooking the gravy with the sausage is like the Golden Girls not eating cheesecake with their midnight chats in the kitchen. It just shouldn’t be done.
Make it your own!
This recipe is pretty adaptable to your own tastes. You can use nearly any type of sausage — breakfast, Italian, sweet, mild, hot. I made this batch with Italian sausage and absolutely loved it. The fennel and savory spices in the sausage really worked well with the creamy milk-based gravy. I wasn’t expecting to enjoy it more than my go-to breakfast sausage, but I think I may enjoy it more. Give each a try and decide for yourself.
FYI — It’s almost sacrilege to make gravy and put it on non-homemade biscuits. THIS is my absolute favorite biscuit recipe. I simply left out the cheese this time for a bit more pure butter-based classic biscuit vibe. If you’ve never made biscuits from scratch, check out my Bisuits 101 post first.
Sausage Gravy & Biscuits
Classsic sausage gravy to top biscuits. Gravy cooked in the sausage. Recipe from SouthernFatty.com.
- 16 oz sausage (type by choice - Italian, breakfast, mild/hot)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk, whole
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- salt and pepper, additional to taste
- Heat a heavy, wide pan over medium heat.
- Cut Italian sausages and remove ground sausage.
- Add all to the heated pan.
- Stir often until sausage has browned, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over browned sausage. Stir well.
- Add milk and mix with floured sausage to combine.
- Continue to heat over medium heat until gravy has thickened, about 5-10 minutes.
- Season with peppers, paprika, and seasoned salt.
- Taste and add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm over biscuits. Find my favorite biscuit recipe here.
- Enjoy! Find more recipes on SouthernFatty.com.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 260Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 44mgSodium: 640mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 0gSugar: 5gProtein: 11g
This is all good. But if you want to have it fast you should try Libby’s Sausage Gravy also. It’s definitely good to me