Nearly every single night during summer and fall, y’all can find me in the same spot. Grilling outside is one of those things that I look forward to every winter, counting down the days to when I can tolerate being outside enough to light up the grill again. I love to try to change up the traditional grilled favs with something a bit different, like this mustard grilled steak with mango salsa. Mustard has been a grilling go-to for me for a while now, but I’m not using just any
I’m never going to hate on a straight up grilled steak, but sometimes you just need to shock the system a bit. This mustard & steak combo certainly does that. Real mustard, made from pure white and brown mustard seeds, is magical. For the longest time, I didn’t really care for mustards. That was until I had the real deal. Subtle spice with killer flavor; I am totally team yellow.
Colman’s Mustard is a British institution that has been turning out this fiery favourite since 1814. The progressive heat from an original blend of locally farmed mustard that this dishes out is a match made in spice heaven when you pair it with a steak grilled to perfection.
The richness of the steak is beautifully cut by the devilish bite of the brush of mustard. Since I like flavors to build, I added just a bit of a bite to the marinade. Mustard like this is one of my grilling secrets. Chicken, veggies, steaks like this one — all of them benefit from a few splashes of spicy. Grilling seems to tame the burn slightly for me, adding just the right amount of ahamoment to a meal.
For a vibrant sidekick, I tossed together one of my favorite fresh fruits, mango, with onion, cilantro, lime juice, and some sweet peppers. This bit of sweetness next to the main event made for the best dinner duo.
Summer grilling with a mustard and mango kick. Perfectly grilled steak marinated in garlic mustard, brushed with spicy prepared mustard and char-grilled. Topped with a fresh citrus mango salsa. Recipe from SouthernFatty.com.
- 1 teaspoon Colman's Dry Mustard powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups mango, chopped (1-2)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 tablespoon lime juice
- 3-5 peppadew peppers
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon Colman's Prepared Mustard
- Combine marinade ingredients in a bowl and whisk well.
- Add with steak of choice and marinade for at least 30 minutes, up to overnight chilled.
- Combine salsa ingredients in a bowl and gently stir.
- This can be made a few hours before using.
- Heat grill to medium-high heat.
- Remove steak from marinade and pat dry gently.
- Brush steak with prepared mustard and grill to desired doneness.
- Remove and rest for 5 minutes, covered gently.
- Serve with mango salsa and a brush of prepared mustard.
- Enjoy! Find more recipes on SouthernFatty.com.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 331 Total Fat: 9g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 12g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 120mg Carbohydrates: 2g Fiber: 7g Sugar: 2g Protein: 5g