30-minute recipes for a warm, ooey-gooey, chocolate-packed molten chocolate and caramel lava cake. My secret trick to getting that perfectly melted center with chocolate caramel truffles makes this recipe the best Valentine’s or special event sweet.
Love is in the air, y’all. You can talk about whatever kind of love you want, but I’m talking about the kind of lovin’ that I have for warm chocolate, ooey-gooey, caramel-stuffed cake straight from the oven. With Valentine’s just around the corner, you have every reason to mix up a few of these simple sweets to end the week (…or begin one, if you want. I won’t tell.)
Lava cakes…. molten chocolate cakes… whatever you want to call them, can be a bit intimidating for some home bakers, I think. Traditionally made by baking a cake until the center is perfectly warm, but not set into solid cake yet, it can be a bit hit or miss. This recipe not only takes all of the guesswork out of that process, but also lets you stuff the cakes with whatever favorite filling each lucky recipient can dream of.
The secret to these personal picks is found in the candy aisle. Chocolate and caramel truffles. With a solid cake recipe and a hand-full of truffles, you can have that Valentine’s or special event baked-with-love treat ready in 30 minutes (even if you did forget it until a few minutes before you started).
Think of this cake as a brownie hugging a melted caramel. Although these are definitely most decadent when they are straight out of the oven, I found out that they are also absolutely delicious when you warm them up the next morning. And even the morning after that. I do these tests for you all. You’re welcome.
Happy Valentine’s, Fatties!
30-minute recipes for a warm, ooey-gooey, chocolate-packed molten chocolate and caramel lava cake. My secret trick to getting that perfectly melted center with chocolate caramel truffles makes this recipe the best Valentine's or special event sweet.
Recipe on SouthernFatty.com
- 135 g (or 4) egg whites
- 100 g (about 6) egg yolks
- 135 g (2/3 cup) sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 65 g (1/2 cup) flour, AP
- 65 g (or 2) egg whites
- 170 g (3/4 cup) sugar
- 113 (8 tablespoons) butter, unsalted
- 180 dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 60 g (4 tablespoons) cocoa powder, unsweetened, preferably Dutch-processed
- 6-8 candy truffles, chocolate or caramel
- Prepare ramekins (I used 8 oz standard - see below) by rubbing them with butter and evenly coating with a mixutre of half flour and half cocoa powder. Tap out excess and set aside on a baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Whisk 135 g egg whites, 100 g yolks, 135 g sugar, salt, and vanilla at medium speed for 2-3 minutes. The mixture will lighten and thicken slightly, but remain somewhat runny.
- Sift flour over this batter and fold in until combined.
- In a perfectly clean mixer bowl (or transfer and clean the one used above), combine the 65 g of egg whites with 170 g sugar.
- Mix with whisk on medium speed for 8-10 minutes.
- Fold this meringue into the batter mix. Don't be afraid to deflate the batter some, as this will create a more dense, rich cake. Fold less if you prefer a more cake-like texture over a creamy brownie-like result.
- Place the chopped chocolate and cocoa powder into a bowl.
- Melt the butter and pour over the chocolate.
- Let this sit for 2-3 minutes and then mix until fully combined.
- Add about half of the batter to the chocolate and stir until combined.
- Add the remaining batter and fold until just mixed. Do not overmix.
- Pour into prepared ramekins, about 2/3 full.
- Place a truffle into the center of the batter. Do not push the truffle too far into the mix. It will sink slightly as it cooks.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Do not overbake, remembering that you cannot easily check the center doneness with a knife due to the truffle.
- Cool for 5 minutes before unmolding.
- Finish with powdered sugar and enjoy warm.
- Find more recipes on SouthernFatty.com!
Adapted from Patisserie French Pastry Master Class textbook.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Droste Cocoa Powder, 8.8 Ounce
Vanilla Bean Paste for Baking - Heilala Vanilla, the Choice of the Worlds Best Chefs & Bakers, Using Sustainable, Ethically Sourced Vanilla, Multi-Award Winning, Hand-Picked from Polynesia, 2.29 oz
Sweese 501.001 Porcelain Souffle Dishes, Ramekins - 8 Ounce for Souffle, Creme Brulee and Ice Cream - Set of 6, White
Donchels Cocoa Dusted Belgian Chocolate Truffles - 2 LB Box
Regency Fine Chocolate Truffles, Milk Chocolate Caramel with Sea Salt, 60 Count
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 435Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 5gSugar: 12gProtein: 2g