Julep Week continues here on Southern Fatty with a tribute to Cinco de Mayo. Cinco de Derby, y’all!
Jalapeño-infused simple syrup replaces the traditional bar spoon of sugar for this spicy and sweet twist.
I’m not usually big on spicy, but this has the perfect bite that’s balanced with the sweet tartness of the fresh mango.
Fair warning: You will not realize how quickly this thing will be gone. It’s one of those kinda drinks. Fresh, a bit sweet. It’s sure to become my new summer favorite sip.
Cheers, y’all. — Stay tuned during the rest of the week and weekend for more!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 Jalapeno, diced
- 2 slices mango
- 1 tablespoon jalapeño syrup (recipe above)
- 3 ounces Kentucky bourbon
- 1 splash club soda, optional
- crushed ice
- Start by making the jalapeño syrup. Combine sugar, water, jalapeños in small saucepan.
- Bring to boil and reduce to simmer. Stir until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Build drink by adding mango and jalapeño syrup in bottom of chilled julep cup.
- Muddle well to purée mango and infuse jalapeño.
- Fill with crushed ice and top with bourbon.
- Optionally, add a splash of club soda.
- Insert straw and enjoy!
- More juleps on SouthernFatty.com.